Known as the ‘queen of fruits’ especially in the South Asian region, the mangosteen is an exotic, round and purple coloured fruit. It is found mainly in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Sri Lanka and India. Listed below are a few of the health benefits of mangosteen:
- Xanthones is an anti-inflammatory compound found in mangosteen which helps fight inflammation caused by pain. It also helps reduce sciatica
- Mangosteens are also recommended for cancer patients as it contains anti-oxidants that help fight cancer.
- It is an ideal choice for those who are on a diet because it has very low calorie content and also contains lots of fibre which is useful in preventing constipation.
- Because of it high vitamin C content, mangosteens are great at tackling cold, flu, inflated gums, nosebleed, joint pains and gum related problems.
- Anaemic patients are also advised to include mangosteens in their diet because it not only helps RBC growth but also reduces the likelihood of heart attacks and stroke.
- Similarly it is also considered an effective remedy for Alzheimer’s disease.
- The powder form of mangosteen is also used to treat skin diseases like eczema. It is also useful for treating acne, skin blemishes, controlling excess oil on the skin and for dry skin.
- Mangosteens also contain anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- One of the most important benefits of mangosteen is that it boosts your immune system.
- Mangosteen is also effective in controlling some of the symptoms of menstruation like mood swings and weakness.