The pomegranate fruit apart from being delicious also offers a wealth of health benefits. The fruit has red, purple or orange-yellow leathery skin with edible seeds inside. Pomegranates are considered sacred in Persian culture as a symbol of health, fertility and eternal life. These fruits are loaded with anti-oxidants, Vitamins and other nutrients.
Listed below are 7 health benefits of pomegranates.
– The antioxidants present in pomegranates are known to prevent damage to arteries. Additionally, these antioxidants hinder the development of coronary artery diseases by preventing the oxidation of cholesterol.
– Punicic acid in pomegranates help lower cholesterol and thereby, reduce blood pressure.
– Pomegranates also have cancer fighting properties thanks to the presence of anti-oxidants.
– The fruit also contains anti-inflammatory substances that give pain relief to those suffering from immune-related disorders like rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
– For those striving to keep their skin youthful, pomegranate is a great choice. The powerful anti-oxidants present in the fruit help delay the ageing process by softening the skin and producing extra elastin and collagen.
– Pomegranates are also known to aid with digestion. Eating pomegranate is said to fulfil almost of half of your daily required fibre intake.
– Drinking pomegranate juice can also help lower your stress levels by reducing the presence of stress hormone, cortisol.
Pomegranates are often considered the most powerful anti-oxidants of all fruits. Apart from the above mentioned benefits, this fruit also helps fights anaemia, promotes blood circulation, improves memory and fights Alzheimer’s disease. While pomegranates are somewhat pricy, the numerous health benefits make this fruit a worthy addition to your diet.