Turmeric, traditionally known as the Indian Saffron is a bright yellow spice obtained from the root of the Curcuma longa plant. Apart from being used as popular condiment, it is also used for healing purposes and in textile dying. Turmeric is a popular ingredient in Indian and Chinese medicine due to its strong anti-inflammatory properties.
Here are some of the health benefits of turmeric.
- Combats Bowel Disease: Past scientific studies have shown that anti-inflammatory substances in turmeric can help soothe an upset stomach and heartburn.
- Prevents Heart Disease: Turmeric may help prevent oxidization of cholesterol that builds up as plaque on the walls of blood vessels. This in turn reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
- Delays Diabetes: The ant-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties in turmeric are also said to reduce the likelihood of developing Type 2 diabetes later in life.
- Fights Cancer: Turmeric is said to aid in destroying mutated cancer cells. Additionally, it may also inhibit the formation of malignant tumours.
- Protects the brain: Recent studies have identified that Turmeric contains certain substances that help in recovery from neurodegenerative diseases like stroke and Alzheimer’s.
- Curbs Joint Pain: Powerful anti-oxidants present in turmeric are known to provide relief from various joint diseases like Arthritis. Supplements that contain turmeric extracts have also proved to work as well as mainstream painkillers when reducing joint aches.
While the health benefits of turmeric are many, you should always check with your doctor before taking any kind of supplements.