One of the challenges of maintaining a healthy lifestyle is ensuring that you are diet is healthy. As most healthy foods have the tendency to spoil easily, people who are constantly on the move struggle to eat a balanced diet. However, there are many healthy and natural foods that do not require refrigeration or spoil easily.
Listed below are few healthy foods that can be stored long-term without spoiling, as long as you have the right temperature and moisture conditions.
– Nuts are a popular choice for those looking for healthy snack options. Rich in protein, fibre and fat, nuts can last up to a year without refrigeration.
– Dried Fruits are full of multiple nutrients including dietary fibre. During the dehydration process, there’s a lot of sugar added so these should be consumed in moderation.
– Honey is another healthy food that does not spoil thanks to the low moisture content. Additionally, it is a natural antibiotic making it an excellent addition to your diet.
– Canned Olives are not only a healthy source of fat but also are packed with antioxidants. If properly canned and stored, olives can last for over a year.
– Granola is easily available in Sri Lankan supermarkets these days in the form of both granola bars and cereals. Most granola bars contain a healthy mix of dried fruit, raisins, sunflower seeds and nuts.
– Dark chocolate not only contain antioxidants, fibre and magnesium but also make for a delicious, healthy snack. If stored in a cool, dry place dark chocolates can last 4-6 months past the ‘best by’ date label on the packaging.
It is important to note that the lower moisture content of the food, the better the likelihood of storing it for long periods of time.